The number of smart kids who dislike math is worrying. A huge contributing factor is that many parents - even smart parents - steer clear of mathematics. With the focus schools and employers have nowadays on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) courses and skills, it is crucially important for children to love or at least be comfortable with math.
The 6 following tips should help to inspire a love of math in your children:
1. Never say you weren't good at math — even if you weren't.
2. Celebrate a mathematician.
3. Teach them that struggling is OK.
4. Adopt a more math-centric vocabulary.
5. Weave math into everyday activities.
6. Let them be the experts.